Monday, August 6, 2012

Tank top Dress

I finally did it! You gals know I HEART my tshirt dress' I get at the boutiques which cost at least $40-$45 a dress! I knew I could make them myself. I just couldn't find an actual tutorial to show me how. So I pieced some together to get the idea and made up the rest as I went. So here is my version of a Tshirt dress. I did not take pics of everything because I got quit aggravated with the gathered stitch. When I finally got it I was like YESSSSSSSSSSSS LOL! I then made a matching belt :-). You could totally go with no belt or a belt you already have in your closet.

Supplies:
Fitted tank or tshirt
Sewing machine
Scissors
measuring tape
pins
disappearing pen
coordinating thread
fabric
Iron



You need enough fabric to go around you almost 2 times. And for the length cut to where you want the dress to hit and add a seem line to both top and bottom. I did 1 1/2 times. Now make a mark where you want to cut your tank, this is where your dress will start.


Take off your top and cut straight across.




I then ironed a seem down for the bottom of my dress and sewed it. Now match the two ends or your dress together and sew. Then iron down flat your seem. Your fabric will now look like a tube.




Next is the hard part. Sew a long gathering stitch across the top of your fabric. I didn't catch pics of this LOL, it does take practice and patience. I sewed two seems, one at a 1/2 inch and the other at a 1/4 mark. Once you are done with these two stitches take it off of the machine and GENTLY GENTLY GENTLY pull ONE of the pieces gathering your fabric together SLOWLY. You want to make your dress gather until it is the size of your tank top.
Now take your cut tank and place it inside your tube of fabric. The right side of your fabric and your tank should be together. Pin and now sew all the way across and WA-LA! I also made a simple belt to tie around with my extra fabric!



Here is my tank top dress. I'll put it up on my Etsy site to order a custom tank top or t shirt dress just message me!


XOXO,
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment