Thursday, September 6, 2012

Picture day Bow!

OK now ladies I was totally multi tasking as I made this bow and FORGOT to take some pictures LOL. but I wanted to share my last minute boutique style bow I made to match my daughter's dress for picture day today.

Supplies:
Scissors
Lighter
Cutting mat
Straight pin
Needle and thread (I use Quilting thread for my bows)
1 1/2 inch ribbon
coordinating ribbon for center
3/8 ribbon for lining the clip
Alligator hair clip
Hot glue gun and glue sticks



So first cut 28 inches of 1 1/2 inch ribbon
On one end cut an angle and make sure to heat seal it


DISCLAIMER ;-)- OK now DESPITE the next few pictures, if your ribbon has print on it lay it with the print side DOWN LOL. As you can see I realized I focusing on taking pictures and not on making my bow and I flipped the ribbon around ;-). HAHA I still forgot to take pictures

So anywho go ahead and lay that pretty ribbon down and fold over the cut side to 4 inches.

Now fold the other side over at 6 inches....oh hey look I think this is the point I figured out I needed to flip my ribbon ;-)


Now lift up your folds holding tight and tuck the long end under



Now you have your folds laying flat on your mat. Fold over the last long piece over the top. Measure in the middle and stick a straight pin in it. 



Before the next step go ahead and prep your thread. Cut a long enough piece to wrap around the center of your bow. Knot it a few times at the end and thread your needle. Easy-peasy

Now carefully pull out your bow loops to make it look like a bow.Keep the pin in it to hold the layers together for you


Now HOLD tight to the center, take your pin out and put it in your pin cushion so your kitty doesn't steel it off the table. Start pinching the center of you bow like so....


Stick your needle through the center going through all your gathers you made with your fingers. Then TIGHTLY wrap the thread around the bow until you feel satisfied. And knot it in the back of the bow. I use quilting thread because it's stronger.


Now cut the last end at a slant and heat seal!


Ah-hem exscuse me for forgetting the next few steps in my pics ;-) but uhhh you will now need to pick your ribbon for your center. I chose a satin black 5/8 ribbon. Make a bow knot. Line your alligator clip with 3/8 grosgrain ribbon and heat seal the ends. Hot glue your bow to your clip then secure your not in place, wrap the ends under the top of the alligator clip, hot glue, clip ends, heat seal. PHEEWWW that seems like a lot but it's simple promise. After it's made spray your stiffener to make it nice and stiff and not floppy.

And now put that puuurty bow on your daughter's head to match her outfit picture day! WA-LA!


I didn't get an up close and personal until after school and it had taken a ride in her backpack...get your stiffing spray out and puff that baby back out ;-)

Can't wait to see everyone's school pictures when they come out!

XOXO,
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment