Friday, November 11, 2011

Butterfly Boutique Bow Tutorial

Happy Veterans Day! Yesterday I made two small butterfly bows for my daughter to wear to school today and I would like to share it with you. This is my first "tutorial" post. If you have any questions let me know.
Since I was making a Veterans Day bow I bought Red White and Blue striped ribbon. This ribbon is very stiff which is a pain to work with BUT a bonus after your done because you don't need as much fabric stiffener. So be careful manipulating your bow the more you bend the more it looses it's stiffness.

I wanted to make two small bows for pigtails so I cut my ribbon to 16 inches. Heat seal your ends with your lighter.

Then fold the ribbon in half to make a crease.

Next pick up one end and put the tail right over the crease like this.

Repeat with the other tail end. It should now look like a figure 8. Keep your finger in the middle holding down the ends and use your other hand to pull the loops up and measure. You want both of your loops to be even sizes.

Now while hold down the middle with one finger and with another pull in one loop to the center. Make sure these two loops are even as well.

Repeat on the other side. Then slide you hand under the bow and pick it up carefully. Squeezing tight to the middle of your bow.

DON'T LET GO :-). Now pinch the sides of your bow together like this. While holding tight to your bow manipulate the ribbon how you want it. Then take your craft wide and TIGHTLY wrap it around the center and cut it with your wire clippers.

Wa-La

Now you need to make a knot. Heat seal the end of the ribbon then make a loop like this.

Pull the ribbon through to make your knot.

It should look like this. And one end is still attached to your ribbon role.

Now place the knot on your bow over the wire. Flip your bow over and dab your hot glue under on the covered clip.

Do the same with the other side of the ribbon. Cut your ribbon and the base of the clip and heat seal.

Here are my two bows....the one on the right is the one I "manipulated" too much LOL. That's OK get your Fabric stiffener and water mix and fix it up :-).
Now your princess it ready to support our troops!  


No comments:

Post a Comment