Thursday, May 10, 2012

Fabric Flower

Hey everyone,
I tried a new Fabric flower! You can use fabric from around the house or even cut up an old tshirt!!! How bout this idea I found an old "vintage" pillow case. I'm SO going to cut it up and use! These flowers are perfect. I've tried several other fabric flower tutorials and this one seems to pop the best. I made this beautiful flower extra large. Here is the template I used that has several different flower sizes. This flower was made with the largest flower but the perfect size for decorating wreaths and for bows is the 3rd largest one in the group.

Supplies:
Flower template
Fabric pin/marker the color of your fabric
Stick pins
Fabric
Scissors
Felt
Glue gun
Glue

OK select your fabric and cut out your template on a piece of paper. Now pin your template to your fabric. You can either stencil your flower onto the fabric and cut it out or if your like me I just cut around the template so I don't have marks on my fabric.

Now for the fun part. Your going to need at least 9 flowers for each flower you make. You can add more for a more "full" flower. After you have cut your flowers, at least 9 you can start folding and gluing. Go ahead and cut out a small circle from your felt to use as a base for your flower, to glue your fabric too. After you have done this pick up one flower. You will fold it in half then fold it in half again. It will look like a triangle. Glue the "point" side in on the fabric. Your going to do this 3 more times for your first layer.









After you glue each one, put a dab of glue in each fold. 
Now for your second layer, again you will use 4 flowers.This time line them up on the center of each line dividing the first layer. Message me if that isn't clear. You do not want to put the 2nd layer directly over the first. Don't forget to go through and add a dab of glue to each fold on the 2nd layer. 




Now for flower number 9. Fold it just like you did the others then roll it. It's going to be your center. So roll it then add some glue to keep it together and put glue around the base and bottom. Stick it in the center of your flower then bring of the first top layers of your flower and stick it to the sides of the "center". This will make your fabric flower pop up. You can also add dabs of glue to other spots if you feel your fabric flower needs a little extra help. After your flower is perfect you can add a pin to the back of the felt or a clip of simply glue it to your craft or even a head band! 







 Loving how my nail polish matches my pretty fabric ;-)



I'll post some photos of a Teacher Appreciation gift I made using a smaller version of this flower.

XOXO,
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment