Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Applique Super Hero Shirt

Well this week is Red Rally Week to fight against drugs in school. So everyday the kiddo's have a theme to dress up as. Today was Be a Super Hero Everyday. Now my daughter does not have a Super Hero Shirt. So she asked me to put an "S" on a shirt. I thought about it...and decided I can do BETTER! I have some bottle caps that my daughter has been asking me to turn into bows. Random ones she got on necklaces ect. She had a bottle cap that had a perfect pink "A" with zebra stripes around it. LIGHT BULB! I got my inspiration! So I got on good ole' Pinterest and searched Super Hero Appliques and found this link that had printable letters,numbers and designs for "super Hero" appliques  http://pinterest.com/pin/211950726184398668/ . Went to Hobby Lobby with my weekly coupon got a pink craft shirt and some zebra fabric :-).

So here is my 1st applique shirt! Now all I need to do is practice so I can make a ton of cute onesies for baby to be!

Supplies:
Shirt
Fabric
Printed out applique stencil
Scissors
Sewing machine
Coordinating thread
Heat N Bond
Iron
Pencil



Print out the letter and carefully cut out everything you do not plan on putting on the shirt, so the middle pieces should go.


Now place your applique stencil onto your heat and bond on the paper side. If your applique is a letter that can't be reversed remember to trace it facing down. Now cut out the piece of heat n bond, don't cut around the applique, cut a box around.


Take your heat n bond paper side up and iron it to the wrong side of your fabric on your highest heat, it should stick pretty instantly. Then Cut the square out of your fabric.



OK NOW you can cut around your applique ;-). Waiting to cut it out at this step will save you a million head aches.Carefully peal off the heat and bond. Place your applique on your shirt and iron it down.



OK Sewing machine here I come! This is the most intimating part for me. Sewing all the way around each side perfectly on the edge.....nerve racking! What you want to do is find your applique stitch  If you don't know which one it is pull out your sewing machine handbook it should tell you. I have a few on mine I chose for my first applique to use stitch 12 on my Limited Edition Project Runway 180 stitch Sewing Machine.
Put in your thread and slowly stitch all sides down. Make sure when you start each area that your needle it right on the outside of the applique.


Here is the finished product TA-DA! And here is the super cute matching bow!



SUPER HERO A TOOOO THE RESCUE!


XOXO,
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment